TOURISM DECLARES CLIMATE EMERGENCY DECLARATION
We’ve signed up to Tourism Declares, an initiative that supports tourism businesses, organisations and individuals in declaring a climate emergency and taking purposeful action to reduce their carbon emissions as per the advice from The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030.
Like all signatories, we have committed to the following five actions:
- Develop a ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ within the next 12 months, which sets out our intentions to reduce carbon emissions over the next decade.
- Share an initial public declaration of our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’, and update on progress each year.
- Accept current IPCC advice stating the need to cut global carbon emissions to 55% below 2017 levels by 2030 in order to keep the planet within 1.5 degrees of warming. We’ll ensure our ‘Climate Emergency Plan’ represents actions designed to achieve this as a minimum, through delivering transparent, measurable and increasing reductions in the total carbon emissions per customer arising from our operations and the travel services sold by us.
- Encourage our suppliers and partners to make the same declaration; sharing best practice amongst peers; and actively participate in the Tourism Declares community.
- Advocate for change. We recognise the need for system change across the industry to accelerate a just transition towards carbon-free tourism.
Sunnyside Guest House Southport
Tourism Declares Action Plan
We plant to measure our carbon emissions so we have our starting point and are able to work on reducing emissions from this bas line figure.
To keep global warming to no more than 1.5°C, as called for in the Paris Agreement, emissions need to be reduced by 45% by 2030 and reach net zero by 2050. In order to achieve this we aim to reduce our emissions by 10% per year.
We aim to make progress in reducing our own carbon footprint, however progress can also be made by influencing others. We aim to do this by sharing our story and help others make informed choices. We aim to help both guests and other businesses.
We aim to inform our customers and other businesses within the hospitality industry about the steps we are taking to reduce our carbon footprint and impact upon the environment and answer any questions they may have. We also plant to learn from them too.